CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Jamie's Bike Accident

this is a picture of his x-ray...if you look close you
can see the one bone in front of the other...eww

poor guy had to celebrate his 36th birthday in a sling!

Saturday morning I woke up to the sound of someone banging on my front door...the girls were downstairs so I thought for sure they would answer the door. Needless to say, they didn't (and I thought they did) but eventually Jamie comes up the stairs saying you have to come down, I crashed on my bike and there are some really nice people down stairs who brought me home...what??! (I have to add, all the time he was knocking on the front door the garage door was open...his brain was not functioning very well I suppose)

I went down and they informed me that he was a little lost at the moment, my first reaction was well this is Jamie you just don't know him but when he proceeded to repeat the same things over and over I knew something was wrong...

Unfortunately he can't remember what happened for sure, but we know for some reason he hit his biking partners tire and down he went...judging by the shape of his helmet he must of flipped or something like that, he can't remember anything. This is absolutely driving him crazy and every day he has a new theory as to what may have caused him to hit Jared's tire...

Anyway, after listening to him ask the same questions over and over...(I felt like I was with an old man repeating things and asking questions repeatedly) we went to the er where they immediately diagnosed a broken collarbone. They did a cat scan and x-rayed his clavicle, luckily there was no major brain injury but the clavicle was broken in two and one side was now flush with the other.

So Jamie is now in a sling and body wrap and basically has no use of his left arm. He is a trooper and is determined to do as much as he can on his own. Our neighbors did come over and mow our lawn which was a huge help and I know he had a hard time letting them do that! We will go to the orthopedic surgeon tomorrow, so hopefully it will be an easy heal in the sling device. There is no way to cast this type of injury so this is the best that can be done. Looks like our Lake Powell trip may have to be canceled, but we are hoping for a full recovery by the time our July NH trip comes along...keep your fingers crossed for him!

We celebrated his birthday yesterday...his mom and dad gave him some money for a new helmet, he'll definitely need that!

2 comments:

harmony said...

That would freak me out. I'm so glad that he isn't more seriously hurt. Happy birthday anyway. I'm thinking of getting the girls signed up for gymnastics in AF. Probably in the fall. Let me know what you think about it there. Lets get the kids together soon. I can't believe we've already been here 2 months.

Lindsay said...

Poor guy! Maybe all of his confusion was due to old age! (Just kidding Jamie! Happy birthday!) We hope he's doing better and that your neighbors will continue to take pity on you!